Ex-Olympian fights for life after fatal head-on crash in the South Coast

A former Olympian and swim coach is fighting for life after his car was hit head-on at the South Coast on Thursday, killing his wife and injuring their young son.

Hamid Mobarrez, 36, who competed in Olympic swimming for Iran, remains in a serious condition in hospital after the crash on Matron Porter Drive at Milton.

The family’s Subaru Forester was driving east at about 3.50pm when it was hit by a westbound Volvo driven by a 39-year-old man.

Police are investigating if the Volvo drifted to the wrong side of the road, in a stretch witnesses described as a “sweeping bend”.

Emergency services cut Mr Mobarrez out of his car and took him to St George Hospital, where he remained in a serious but stable condition on Friday.

His wife Tamara Mobarrez, 36, could not be revived at the scene.

The couple’s five-year-old son, Eli, was airlifted to the Royal Children’s Hospital in Randwick where he is in intensive care with head and facial injuries.

Mr Mobarrez is the head swimming coach at Kincoppal Rose Bay School, a private school for girls in Sydney’s east. His wife worked in administration in the school’s aquatic centre.

He represented Iran in the Sydney Olympic Games in 2000, finishing 65th in men’s 100-metre freestyle. He also held Iran’s record for 100-metre butterfly in 2007.

The 39-year-old driver of the Volvo was taken to Milton Illawarra Hospital with minor injuries, and underwent mandatory testing.

On Friday, NSW Roads Minister Melinda Pavey urged motorists to respect how dangerous cars can be, with the Milton crash the second fatal head-on in the South Coast in less than three weeks.

“Please at all times respect the deadly weapon that is between your hands,” Ms Pavey said.

On Boxing Day, the Falkholt family from Ryde was wiped out when a car crossed to the wrong side of the Princes Highway and hit their car head-on, setting both cars alight.

Lars and Vivian Falkholt died at the scene, while their daughters Annabelle, 21, and Jessica, 28, were dragged to safety by bystanders.

Annabelle died in hospital several days later and was farewelled with her parents at a funeral in Concord on Wednesday.

Jessica remained in a critical condition at St George Hospital on Friday evening after she was taken off life support, the hospital said in a statement.

“The family has asked for privacy during this very difficult time,” a spokeswoman said.

Inspector Katie Orr from the Metropolitan Crash Investigation Unit said Mr Mobarrez and his son had both undergone surgery, for leg and head injuries.

She said the cars involved in the Milton crash would be examined as part of the crash investigation.

“The vehicle will be mechanically examined, the blood and urine sample taken from the driver will be examined as well,” Inspector Orr said. “The driver will be spoken to and interviewed in relation to it.”