Andrew Redmayne is set to become the Sydney FC’s first choice goalkeeper for the foreseeable future after signing a two-year contract extension with the club.
Arriving at the club after being discarded by rivals Western Sydney Wanderers midway through last season, Redmayne has emerged as the Sky Blues’ starring shot stopper this season and is set to stay between the posts at Moore Park until the end of May 2020.
Redmayne was signed as part of the highly publicised goalkeeper swap in which Vedran Janjetovic went west to join the Wanderers. Redmayne was initially signed as a back-up to Danny Vukovic last season but has impressed as a starting goalkeeper this season in the absence of Vukovic, who moved to Belgium.
His form in stepping up as Sydney FC’s No.1 goalkeeper this season was rewarded with the contract that coach Graham Arnold had no hesitation in offering.
“Andrew is a fantastic professional and has risen to every challenge set before him,” Arnold said.
“He has performed exceptionally well this season and is one of the reasons we’re on track for our first goal of 50 points this season, and the remaining targets beyond that.”
Redmayne is the second Sydney FC player to re-sign last week, after defender Michael Zullo, who put pen to paper on a two-year extension.
“It’s so pleasing to be a part of a successful side and I’m glad to be remaining a Sky Blue,” Redmayne said.
“At Sydney FC I feel I’m playing some of my best football and I’m glad to be continuing to train under [goalkeeper coach] John Crawley who has developed me into the player I am.
“I can’t wait to help the club to more silverware this season and to get started in my third AFC Champions League campaign next month.”
Sydney FC travel to South to face Adelaide on Sunday. The Sky Blues’ lead at the top of the table was trimmed to five points after Newcastle Jets beat Brisbane Roar 1-0 at home on Friday night.