Wiasak hopes crash doesn’t ruin Commonwealth Games dream

From the high of winning a national crown, two-time world champion Rebecca Wiasak came crashing back to earth.

The Canberra cyclist was hopeful her concussion wouldn’t prevent her from realising her Commonwealth Games dream, after she was forced out of the Women’s Tour Down Under following her crash in Adelaide on Thursday.

Wiasak was in seventh heaven less than two weeks ago when she sprinted to victory in the n criterium championships in Ballarat, but pleasure has quickly turned to pain.

While the concussion was her most serious injury, Wiasak’s face has a serious case of gravel rash, along with her shoulder, hand and knees.

The 33-year-old was using a brief stint on the road bike in early January in her bid to be part of the n women’s team pursuit team for the track event at the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast in April.

“[There was] a few moments of panic when I think, ‘I’m running out of time to get my qualifying performance for Comm Games’,” Wiasak said.

“I hope my head does recover because one of my thoughts is that, ‘I hope this doesn’t prevent me making Commonwealth Games’.

“I’m trying to stay positive and push that thought out of my head, and just focus on doing everything right.”

She’ll be able to ride a stationary ergo bike on Monday and if she passes her next concussion test on Tuesday could return to the track on Wednesday.

The crash happened just 50 kilometres into the first stage of the Women’s TDU, with a concussed Wiasak apologising to the Holden Cycling team she was guest riding for.

Riding in the middle of the bunch, a rider swerved in front of Wiasak and clipped the Canberra cyclist’s front wheel sending her over the handlebars.

She was especially disappointed to miss Sunday’s final stage – a street circuit in Adelaide – where Wiasak was hopeful of wearing her green-and-gold jersey as national criterium champion.

“I’ll have the concussion test again on Tuesday and hopefully pass it, and be back on the track and the road on Wednesday,” she said.

“My recollection is a rider swerved to the left very suddenly and just clipped, literally took out my front wheel … it happened very quickly and I went obviously head first into the ground.

“I have very little memory after actually falling. I don’t remember hitting the ground and I have very little memory from even the ambulance trip and then arriving at the make-shift medical centre they had in the footy sheds at Gumeracha.” This sport provides some of the most exhilarating highs and the crappiest of lows. Bummed to crash out of @tourdownunder in Stage 1 on Thursday. Turns out I was a bit of a dud guest rider for @holdencycling. Mild concussion means a few days off the bike to recover. pic.twitter老域名购买/JtwqLwMKwm??? Rebecca Wiasak (@RebeccaWiasak) January 13, 2018Unfortunately I have abandoned #WTDU Winds like Qatar our there today. On the freeway whilst in a team car – two bikes flew off the roof racks in front of us. So glad to avoid two bikes thru our windscreen at 110km/h ??????? Kimberley Wells (@Kimbers_Wells) January 13, 2018